April 5, 2010

Why is our state named Sabah? #SSSM

Few weeks ago, I pondered on the meaning of Sabah. I googled it and found out that the word Sabah in African and Arabic means Sunrise and Morning respectively.

I was still not satisfied and twit my question in Twitter, hoping that someone in Twitter knows the answer. Nada!

Today while researching online for an article I was going to blog about, I stumbled on a Wiki entry.
In 1959, Tun Datu Haji Mustapha Bin Datu Harun met Sultan Tunku Laxamana Awang Ishak Ismail Jalil in a place called Kampung Takuli, Beaufort, Sabah. He was to convey a message of freeing the Borneo from British Colonial. Tun Mustapha asked Sultan Tunku Laxamana Awang Ishak his view regarding the new name of Borneo. The Sultan Tunku Laxamana Awang Ishak told Tun Mustapha to use Sabah as the name of the state. That is his ancestor Awang Alak Betatar mentioned the word Mongoi da sasabah every times he wants to go to the sea. The meaning is let’s go fishing to the sea whereas the island was surrounded by the sea and had a lot fish.
Kampung Takuli by the way, is where my late grandfather decided to settle down. The next time there is a gathering in the kampung, I will make sure to ask the old folks just who the heck was this Sultan Tunku Laxamana. 

Technorati Tags: ,

4 comments:

AngeL BeaR said...

seriously there's some guy named like that in Takuli????

Unknown said...

You know, Tun Mustapha lived to a ripe age. I think when the purportedly meeting was held, Takuli was all jungle. We're talking colonial time here.

fuwa the wonderer said...

If i say this...i think, no one would believe me but...i think i know who are the direct descendants of Sultan Laksamana Awang Ishak Ismail Jalil.

Takuli is a huge kampong, it consists of a number of sub-villages namely ingorokon, landayan etc. the family is now residing in one of them.

If you ask me whether this is legit or not? Id say..hell yeah..of course it is legit...how do i know? Well...its a long story...

Anonymous said...

please leave your phone number regarding on your information about the articles Im Just Saying, we want to know more about the Tunku Laxamana Awang Ishak Ismail, my late grandfather said that there is a connection between our family and the one we mention on the top.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...