September 2, 2011

Congratulation to Sabah Publishing House

Sabah Publishing House Sdn Bhd (SPH) is the owner of Daily Express and Overseas Chinese Daily. The former, a bilingual daily (English and Malay) and the latter, yes you guessed it, a Chinese daily. 


I grew up reading the Daily Express, my mom subscribed to it since heaven knows when, like forever.

The Daily Express was founded by the late Tan Sri Yeh Pao Tzu in 1963. Its first issue was on 1 March 1963. Yes, that means the paper was pre-independence. Before someone points out to me that I'm mistaken about it, I'm talking about North Borneo's (Sabah) independence day lah. Please refer to my earlier post.


The Daily Express touts itself as the Independent National Newspaper of East Malaysia. However, as far as I know, they are only circulating in Sabah. So that part at least, I think, is a misnomer. Anyhoo, it pride itself as being unbiased in its reporting and so far, I have to agree. Their reporting has been impartial to any parties. And they highlight the events of Christian community just as much as they highlight the events of the Muslim community. What are the chances of you finding a national newspaper in West Malaysia that carries news about the social and charitable work of the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception or the celebration of its 75th founding anniversary? So yes, I can read this paper "tanpa was-was". It does not sell "haram" news.

Today SPH reported about its new milestone. Towards being environmental friendly, they have become the first media in Malaysia, yes the first in the nation, to switch to shorter 54.6 cm cut-off broad sheet. That means, the paper will be smaller and shorter. Hence, requiring less paper to print.
Therefore, congratulation to you SPH for being a trendsetter in Malaysia.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...