September 2, 2011

Of Control Freaks and Confused People

Credit : sophia_soshow - Photobucket
My friend was complaining to me about certain people in her live recently. That person has an opinion on everything and just about anything and stubborn to a fault. 

She was beginning to suspect that he was just a sad, confused and lonely small man. She said many times he caught him contradicting himself and that whenever she said something, she was certain that he would have a different opinion about it. Poor woman, she said she's developing teeth deterioration from grinding her teeth too much in an effort to prevent herself from stranggling the snob LOL. 

She said the snob disagrees on everything just for the sake of disagreeing. I asked her why she continues to torture herself by hanging out with the snob? She said she wished that life is like Facebook where she could just unfriend him and blocked him permanently :D. 


My friend is one of the most good natured and patient people I know. Hence, for her to get so riled up like that, this snob must be one insufferable prick. I can relate to her problem, heck I think everyone of us, met people like that at least once in our lives. The colleague who always disagrees with you in meetings just to discredit you but not offering any solution himself, a brother in-law who always want to sound "good" in conversations during family gathering (bragging about his imaginary friendship with some celebrities).......The list goes on.....

Personally, I learned to just "switch off" when I encounter people like this and I keep my distance from them like a plague. Earlier in life, I've learned that engaging with these people is just a wasteful activity. They don't want to talk with you, they want to talk at you. They just want an audience, not a conversation partner. Its their way or the highway.

I've found some interesting articles about these people and ways to manage them. So if you such "infestation" yourself, you might want to check these out. But if you ask me, I think you will be better off "unfriending" these nimcompoops.

Dealing With Control Freaks - Thomas J. Schumacher, Psy.D., R-CSW 

How to Cope with a Controlling Person - wikihow

I like this excerpt from Dealing With Control Freaks:
Certainly, it’s natural to want to be in control of your life. But when you have to be in control of the people around you as well, when you literally can’t rest until you get your way … you have a personality disorder
Spot on hahahaha...





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...