July 15, 2011

Homemade Bokashi Part 2

Ok, an update to my little experiment. My first attempt to propagate beneficial microbes was a FAIL because the rice wash that I used contained chlorine!

Take note of the protein, carbohydrate & fat residues floating at the surface & the bottom  indicated by the arrows. The circle is where the liquid is. 
In my first attempt, the protein, carbohydrate and fat (PCF) just became lumpy residues. In my second attempt, I took a cup of rice and then mixed it with 2 cups of rain water. That was on 4 July 2011. On 12 July 2011, I mixed 200 ml of the rice wash with 2 ltr of milk and look what I found the next day 13 July 2011. Not even 24 hours had passed. 

LOOK AT THAT! Look at the difference. A layer of PCF cake about 2 inches thick floating at the surface and it looked dry! I guess there really is something in the water.

If you're asking why I let the container sit on water, the reason is I don't want ants to come feeding on the milk.

This is another experiment I'm trying suggested by a fellow farmer, Abang Mat. This liquid is molasses mixed with a bottle of Vitagen which contained Lactobacillus Acidophilus. I'm propagating the bacteria, the molasses is food for the bacteria. 

As suggested by Abang Mat, I invested on a RM9/- aquarium air pump and aerated the molasses. More update coming soon.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...