February 19, 2010

The Key to Everything

Found this quote in the web. I've read it somewhere before but had since forgotten about it. It reminds me that every hardship is a blessing and instead of asking why these things happen to me, I should take it in my stride and learn something from the situation. The only way for our physical body to get strong is by doing lots of exercise. This is true also where the growth of our spirituality or character is concerned. How can we gain wisdom without failure? How do we know what is happiness if we have not tasted sadness. How can we learn to appreciate what we have without first experiencing losing it all.

If you love God, you will walk in his path. You will act according to his will. You will love everyone around you even if it's hard because loving your brothers regardless of race and religion is loving God. He is the creator of all creations.

I asked God to take away my pride, God said "No".
It is not for me to take away but for you to give up.

I asked God to make my handicapped child whole, God Said "No".
Her spirit is whole, her body was only temporary.

I asked God to grant me patience, God said "No".
Patience is by-product of tribulations; it isn't granted, it is earned.

I asked God to give me happiness, God said "No".
I give you blessings, happiness is up to you.

I asked God to spare me pain, God said "No"
Suffering draws you from worldly cares and brings you closer to me.

I asked God to make my spirit grow, God said "No"
You must grow on your own but I will prune you to make you fruitful.

I asked for all things that I might enjoy life, God said "No".
I will give you life so that you may enjoy all things.

I asked God to help me LOVE others, as much as he loves me.
God said...Ahhh....finally you have the idea!

---Claudia Menden Weisz 
  
I remember that when I was accompanying my wife for her catechism class, the priest told the class that if they were looking for a religion that gives them worldly riches, then they were going for the wrong religion because suffering is the only thing that awaits anyone who embraces the Lord Christ.  

I was stunned when I heard him said that and thought he was some kind of rogue priest. Hello? Reverend, you're suppose to sell Christ to these people, not drive them away???

Now that I'm a bit older and going through my own tribulations, I can see what he meant. As I reflect, I took for granted all the things that I had. My wife and son. I love them dearly but I wished I could have spent more time with them. Now I miss them dearly, they are on my mind 24-7. When I was with them, I was always preoccupied in my own things. Don't get me wrong, I didn't ignore them and I didn't mistreat them but I was always somewhat detached, searching for something else. I never felt happy, I wanted something more. Now I know the only thing that matters to me is my family.

I have more tests which I do not want to discuss here but instead of feeling sorry for myself, I decided to focus my mind and energy to turn this negativity into a positive and finally learn something from all of this and when I get out of this hole, I vow never again to take for granted what I have.

Suffering is like a cleansing soap that cleanses our soul and prepare us for death and the meeting with our creator. Have you ever met someone who has everything taken from him/her and yet he/she still radiate with hope and happiness. I've met one or two;they have one thing in common. They love, they really really love their fellow human being and surrender all their woes and hardship to God. They trust God to carry it for them . The thing about us, when we are in trouble, we switch to survival mode. That is when we lose faith in God and the people around us. We don't trust them to share our troubles because we refuse to acknowledge that we need help. Somehow, we think that by not verbalizing or acknowledging our fear, we could delay the problem from manifesting itself, keep it at bay. Therefore, we refuse to trust in others, we believe that only we ourselves can overcome it which is not totally wrong but there are times when you just have to bare yourself open and trust in others, trust in the goodness of humanity, in God to assist you ride through your problem.

Anyway, these people who trust God, when you talk to them, they really listen to you and they are genuinely interested in you. I thought they were deluded and it annoyed me that anyone could be so positive all the time. "Hey, it's the end of the world, God damn it! I have to stay up late tonight to prepare my report to the senior management and I don't know where to start. Praying to God doesn't pay the bill!". These are the voices that are shouting at the back of my mind when talking to these people. But it turns out that I'm the deluded one. I was jaded but now I see :). 

One word, Love. Not the lust kind of love. It's the kind that need input from you. It's the kind of love that compels you to do things eventhough you would not rather do it. Love and the rest will fall in place.

On my way Lord, on my way. 

2 comments:

Country bumpkin said...

Touchhing..

Unknown said...

Hmmm. I don't think I wrote this?? I don't remember writing this. Doesn't sound like me LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...